Monday 5 January 2015

Peter Pan !!!

"The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it"
~ J.M. Barrie


So.... I have always had a little "obsession" with Peter Pan. It is my favourite childhood fairy-tale and my all time favourite story.




When I was little, I was in love with the Disney version of Peter Pan. As i got older I began to watch the film based off of the JM. Barrie play and the PJ. Hogan screenplay starring Jeremy Sumpter. So I have always had a huge interest in the classic tale but as I got older I wasn't as preoccupied as when I was younger, that all changed on December 4th 2014.
I had heard that NBC in America was going to to a live television production of the broadway musical Peter Pan. When I heard this I was so excited!!! 
I started by doing research on the cast to the point what I could tell you their life story and then I rewatched all of the versions of my favourite childhood story.
Peter Pan has always had a place in my heart. 
A lot of people don't know that Peter Pan has ALWAYS been played by a woman. I had always known this from my extensive research but when people found out that Peter would be played by Allison Williams (star of Girls), the critics had no problem sharing their opinion on the cast.
Allison proved them wrong in the 3 hour production and her performance completely blew me away. She captured the innocence and childlike personality of Peter so well that you would swear she was born to play the part... The songs weren't that bad either.
Hook was played by oscar winner Christopher Walken and the lost boys were played by the cast of Disney's Newsies.
This amazing show sparked my interest in Peter Pan and JM Barrie's other writings. 
When christmas came around I received a hardback copy of JM Barrie's book "Peter Pan and Wendy" which is one of my favourite stories. 
Peter Pan is full of many hidden meanings and it's such a diverse story. I would highly recommend the musical, films and book to anybody. 
So that is one of things I did over my Christmas holiday.


No comments:

Post a Comment